Thursday, January 29, 2009

How important is the 3-way call to your business?

As you know I'm right in the middle of basketball season. I'm excited to announce we are 6-2. Woooohoooo!

The other day at practice I was teaching a new offense. The boys were catching on quickly so we moved on to scrimmage in order to implement the new offense. We run about 10 different offensive plays so I encourage them to mix it up rather than doing the same thing over and over and over. There's nothing more exciting for a coach than to watch what you just taught being executed and work. There's also nothing more frustrating than watching it not being executed and seeing the points missed because of that. Yes, I'm getting to my point.

I was thinking how this applies to using the 3-way call in our business. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not 100% consistent in using the 3-way call. It's just easier not to do right? (Way bad excuse, don't ever say that out loud) Anyway, when my team actually run's the offense they score I'm guessing 90% of the time. When they don't run the offense they end up playing street ball and they maybe score 5% of the time. So I ask you, WHY DON'T THEY RUN THE OFFENSE EVERYTIME????? argh!

I figure that maybe they don't run it consistently because they haven't made it a habit. hmmmm (I know I haven't made 3-way calling a habit). Maybe it's because it takes more work to run the offense because you have to have all 5 players participating in order to accomplish it? hmmmm Have you ever heard someone tell you they don't like 3-way calls because it's a pain to get upline on the phone? Well, it is a pain, but is that a good enough of a reason not to do it? I would say NOT! John sat down with someone the other day and tried 3-waying them to upline, he had to call 3 different people in the upline before getting someone on the phone. SO WHAT, it took a little extra effort but it was worth it. The call was awesome.

Have you ever heard someone say that they feel like they are wasting uplines time when they can't get ahold of anyone? I can guarantee you that as your upline you haven't ruined my day by calling me and we haven't been able to reach someone. I'm just thrilled that you called to do a 3-way.

I'm here to tell you just like I drill in my team's head that networking is a team sport. We have to work together and run the offense if we want to score. You can't make all the points by yourself. I hope you get my point. (no pun intended LOL)

No comments: